Tuesday, June 16, 2009

You Give Me Fever

So this past weekend I was sick with a fever and a very sore throat. I think it's the first time since being a mother I was actually "in bed" sick. Don't you worry, I am feeling much better now but I thought I would share a few things that I've learned these past four of five days of being under the weather.

Every time I talk to my mom she is going to ask me if I have swine flu.

It turned out to be a great weight loss plan. I think I lost three pounds. Now if maintaining means that I am allowed to eat nothing, then I assume those pounds will return very shortly.

Mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom... is more annoying when you're sick.

Sunday lunch: macaroni and cheese. Sunday dinner: peanut butter sandwiches.

Bryan goes into panic mode. Panic mode leads to spastic cleaning of the house and constant comments about rethinking his career so he could be home more often. After five years invested in this career I don't think "rethinking" is going to make your wife feel any better. Just a thought.

When I do get sick it will of course fall on the weekend that Bryan is on call. I think he saw me for a total of six "panicked" hours of the whole course of my sickness.

There is nothing wrong with watching the food network for four hours straight with your three year old, nothing at all. Don't judge me, it's the only station we can both agree on.

Nothing wrong with the t.v. being on 97.5% of the past four days.

Feeding two children couldn't possibly be more exhausting. Do crackers count as a balanced lunch?

I.B Profin is WAY better than Tylenol.

Julia makes an excellent errand girl. Too bad she can't change Audrey's diaper.

Audrey has a new found obsession with climbing the stairs. That has nothing to do with me being sick but it was still really annoying.

Getting better after a sickness like that means ten loads of laundry, a floor so nasty that my feet stick as I walk, toilets that make me gag and so many other disasters around every corner.

Speaking of that little stinker Audrey. This morning I was in the kitchen doing something and Audrey was beside the couch playing with toys. I strategically placed the toy basket on that side of the couch so the mess of toys cannot be seen. Audrey is one of those quiet kids. I'll think she's looking at books and literally one second later she'll have climbed up the stairs and be in her room. She's sneaky that one. Anyways, she was playing with the basket of toys and I hear her panic cry. (You know all kids have those specific cries hurt, sad, hungry,etc.) I run over to the basket thinking she must have fallen in the basket and her little pajama legs would be sticking out, but instead this is what I saw...


Where was Audrey? I see toys, I see basket but I don't see Audrey. I even looked inside the basket but she wasn't there. I start to look around and even enlisted Julia to help me find her. I then started to worry and started yelling for her. I finally hear her little cry again. I go back to the basket to take a look and finally found her...She had quite literally wedged herself behind the couch. I actually had to move the couch to get her out. Can you see how far back there she got? Seriously Audrey, there's no toys back there.
Finally making her escape. Julia and I both sat and laughed for a good minute or so after this.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. That Audrey wedged behind the couch is too funny. And I want you to know, I didn't judge you once as I read this post. I do all those things on a regular basis.

Necha said...

I had the EXACT same thing this weekend. I had the worst sore throat that I have ever had, and I had a fever too. Well I am glad you are feeling better, and glad to say that I am too!

Dehner Family said...

Ah- That sounds like the pits. I'm glad you're feeling better.

John-David and Kathryn said...

Annie
So sorry to hear that you were under the weather this weekend. We have moved to PA. We were so busy the last week or two we moved we didn't have a chance to say good bye. If you ever want to go to New York or Philadelphia, we are not far. Come visit us.
P.S. Dr. Greco just loves Bryan.

Ryan & Amanda said...

I am glad Bryan has a panic mode (hopefully he was helpful in his panic mode) and was all of a sudden going to "rethink" his career. Alli and I both laughed (I think she was laughing because I was laughing) at Audrey being wedged behind the couch. Funny girl! And lastly, I am glad Julia was able to be the errand girl, I am hoping that by the time the next baby comes (which won't be for a while) that Alli can be helpful? Maybe? Mostly I just wish we lived closer so I could have helped you a little bit! Good luck with the catch up, it is such a pain!

Brookel said...

audrey getting stuck is the saddest and cutest thing ever. eden would get stuck in things like that too, she would climb into the tightest spots between furniture and get herself stuck and then freak out like she didn't know how she had gotten there in the first place.
i know what you mean about the huge mess after being sick, and your still not 100% when you have to start dealing with that.
who's idea of a good joke what it to give mothers the job where we have to do everything even when we're sick?

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

No fun at all!! Love those moments when the hubby second geusses the occupation choice--"UMM, NO! we can't change now buddy." Of course it would all happen on a busy call weekend too. Way to go Julia for being such the good little helper. Audrey is too funny with her cute little body all stuck behind the couch.

Monica said...

So glad that you are feeling better!! What a pain. I could not agree with you more with everything you said! Audrey is so cute. That is pretty funny. Thanks again for having play group even though it went a little longer than expected. :)

kiki comin said...

is it bad that i am not sick, and i have the tv on 97.5% of the time? i giggled through this whole post!

Camisha Gollaher said...

Any mother would understand this reality...and imagine, it could have been worse- the kids could have been sick too!!! Yikes- I'd LOVE to laugh hysterically at a post when you and the kids were all sick, however I don't EVER wish that on you. You make each situation funny, pretty funny stuff!

I would start calling Audrey "Stealth" that sounds like it would fit!

Glad you're feeling better, and good luck catching back up!

Sara said...

You crack me up Annie! So glad you are feeling better. Being sick is no fun!!!

emilyy said...

Nothing is worse than being a sick single mom. So so soooo sorry to hear about your weekend. Glad you are feeling better.

Eric & Aimei Phillips said...

Sorry you felt bad...being sick is way not fun...Audrey is So cute...that is the cutest picture with her little back...cute, cute!!!!

Melinda said...

"spastic cleaning" I love the imagery there. I feel your pain with the stairs thing. You can borrow Ben to be the gatekeeper any time you'd like. :) I'm glad you're feeling better. Oh, and by the way, I love that you grabbed your camera to snap a picture of Audrey stuck and panicking before helping her because that's exactly what I would've done. :)

Kenny, Tara, Ashley said...

I LOVE reading your blog. I love it. I am sorry you were sick, and glad you are feeling better. Audrey is such a crack-up. Love the stories and glimpses into your life. Thanks for sharing and making my day. I have so many of the same thoughts and feelings every day.

Kenny has also mentioned once or twice since Lauren's arrival that he has rethought (not too seriously)his career. He feels guilty for being gone all the time and wishes he were home more to enjoy the kids when they are little. It gives me comfort to know that he'd rather be home than working. Why can't we just be independently wealthy?

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Glad you are better and that there were no serious disasters while you were sick! Ken and I love to watch Iron Chef America on Saturday nights. Food Network is awesome.

Heather said...

Funny post. So true. I'm glad you're feeling better! And I'm glad Julia will watch the food channel with you.