Monday, September 13, 2010

Amazing Apples

So this is actually two posts in one. We'll start with:
Amazing

When Julia was born I felt that there was this dramatic shift in my life. I'm sure that all mothers feel this way at the birth of their first child. Suddenly this child is born and becomes the center of your universe. It is no longer about you but it is ALL about that baby. It's survival is completely put on your shoulders. It is an overwhelming and claustrophobic feeling that is difficult to even put into words. I must say motherhood is truly the most fulfilling and rewarding thing I have ever done but it is hard not to lose a bit of yourself through the process. I think it's safe to say that all moms' greatest struggle in life is finding that balance of giving everything to your children but still cultivating your individuality and having achievements of your own. I am just constantly impressed by the mothers around me and how they have been able be incredible mothers but still do something pretty incredible themselves.
Well today I must celebrate a mom/sister in law/friend. Natalie is just the most down to earth, funny, great person that is a fantastic wife and a mom to an adorable little boy and found time to do something extraordinary. She has published a book! She is the most unpretentious person I know and acts like she just weeded the garden rather than have a book in a hardcover. I know that it was hours and hours of writing and more hours of editing and then sending to different publishing companies and knowing they were reading those words that meant so much to her. Of course this all happened when her little boy was very little and her husband was starting med school. I am just so proud her accomplishment and I am so excited to read her book.

Congratulations Natalie!!

Here's her blog
And here's a link for the book
And now the second part of the post....

We have been apple picking at the same place, same time of year for three years. This year made me a little sad as we were walking through the orchards telling Bryan that we potentially only have one more fall here. I can't believe how time slips through your fingers.

So for nostalgia's sake this was Julia her first apple picking trip September of '07.

This was Audrey on her first apple picking trip September '08.
And here we are September '10 and they are just getting bigger...no matter how many times I tell them to cut it out.

Julia took a picture of Bryan and me. Can you tell?
Bryan and his girls. He's too good to us.
I look old in this picture. Time is slipping away from me too gosh dangit. Dang crow's feet!
Julia's pride and joy was this giant apple. And what in the heck is she wearing around her neck? Why do I not filter this stuff before I start taking pictures? Is it a monkey?
We went to the tent to purchase apple butter and apple salsa...yumm. the girls found this giant chair and pretty much hogged it the entire time. They have no shame even if the other kids want to sit on it. No shame at all.
We went to this beautiful river trail after the apple picking where...
Audrey kissed the frog, who thankfully did not turn into a prince, went home and took a nap and lived happily the rest of the night because our Buckeyes won.

9 comments:

Ryan & Amanda said...

I love this post, you are such a great writer! I am so impressed with Natalie's accomplishment as I am still trying to figure out the whole balance thing! I love your pictures from past years, but as always the girls are so adorable. I love the picture of Bryan with both girls you can tell they love him so much it is so cute!!

Jody said...

I want to read that book! WOW is all I can say to Natalie. That is amazing and I love the cover! Tell cute Julia to call Nana she just might get whatever she wants!(FOR her birthday wish and my wish too!) The girls are growing up way to fast without us. You need to be closer so we can play together.. Love the pictures the girls are beautiful you and Bryan look great.. Didn't see the crow's feet! Apple Salsa??? What does it go on? Love and miss you tons.

Eric & Aimei Phillips said...

You guys always look like you're having such fun in OHIO....we really need to go out there before you leave and move back home...hint...hint?!?!

JA said...

Are you eating the apples before paying for them???

Annie said...

Gosh Jenni it took me a minute to figure out who you were! Thankfully, and probably much to your relief, I have not resorted to a life of crime nor am I advertising my tendency towards petty theft openly on my blog. They encourage you to taste the apples as you pick. Maybe I should have put that in my blog but I like my readers to think I live on the edge.

Brookel said...

I think you are an amazing mom Annie! And you are so beautiful, crow's feet and all. I wish I had lived in a place longer than a year or even two to have fun traditions and have something to really miss when we move next time. I must be lazy, because we live in sonoma county there have got to be farms to go pick apples and things from, I just haven't looked :)

Unknown said...

Wishing I was there, wishing I was there, wishing I was there...

The Teeples said...

Oh so cute. Why are we not motivated like you to do an apple picking trip. I need to get moving. Love all the buckeye gear. You guys are just too cute!

Rachel said...

I miss apple picking!