Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Some New Things

The end of summer is here. I love fall but I also will miss the carefree days of summer spent by the pool and having Julia home all day. But all good things must come to an end to make room for more good things. .

We went to our first baseball game. I don't know why we haven't done this before. It was so much fun and I am not even a big baseball fan. There's something about the atmosphere and having something to cheer about. I was worried the girls would get bored but they really enjoyed it.
It was the famous (or infamous) dime a dog night. I tell you what. I consider myself a great lover of ground up meat parts shoved into a tubing and slathered with ketchup, but after two I was pretty well done. I saw people throw those things down like you would not believe. Too much of a good thing and you walk away with regret I say.

My girls aren't big hot dog fans unfortunately for dime a dog night. Julia spotted the fluffy cotton candy and knew she had to have it. $4.00! I told her that I could get her 40 hot dogs for that price. After we both gagged a little, her persistence and the fact she has never tried the stuff finally won me over. And to think we could have had 40 dogs...at least she has the look of complete satisfaction. And spun sugar? You can bet it was a hit.
I promise I didn't put the death squeeze on Audrey. And yes as you can view behind me there was a bit of "drinking" going on. We went with some fellow resident friends and when they left for the concessions they asked if anyone would like a "drink." Julia kept yelling, "I would! I'm so thirsty!" I then had to explain to her that this would not be her typical root beer, if you know what I mean. So we went and found the drinking fountain because you bet your life I wasn't going to spend $4.00 for a soda pop. 40 hot dogs!
The other new thing going on around here is Julia started her new preschool class. It is the same preschool as last year but a new class and she is so thrilled to be going back.
We get to carpool with her buddy Davis.
She's a cowhand (gender neutral). She's already decorated cowboy boots and colored a picture of her as a cowhand. But of course the horse was promptly turned into a unicorn.
Julia with her new teacher. I have such great respect for teachers that are able to give my child a love of learning.
I had to take a picture of her the next day because she jut looked so dang cute. Her favorite thing of all are her new twinkle toe shoes.
And the final new thing that is probably getting less press than it deserves is Audrey. She is officially potty trained! Having an older sister as motivation was a huge help and it was pretty easy. We are so proud of her. She really worked hard and was so distressed over accidents. She is a determined little thing and we just couldn't love her more. Great job Audrey girl! Speaking of Audrey girl, the other day she was playing with a little boy and got her feelings hurt. She came over to me and said, "That boy over there was mean to Audrey girl." Referring to yourself in the third person has never ever been cuter.
Push-up ice cream treat. No better way to celebrate out summer.

15 comments:

Ryan & Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ooooooh if anyone ever touches Audrey girl again...Julia looks so adorable. Jansen would have been crushin for sure.

Ryan & Amanda said...

Annie you are such a great writer! I had to read most of the post outloud so Ryan could laugh with me because he was asking what I was laughing about. This makes me miss you guys so so much! Love the bball game-who doesn't want a hotdog for a dime? And spun sugar (or sugar in any form around here) is always a big hit. Julia looks completely adorable in her new school get up (I agree the second outfit is super cute too!) and I love the twinkle toe shoes! I am quite positive she is the cutest cowhand ever. Audrey looks adorable-even if you are giving her the death squeeze :)- and especially with the push up pop! My mom enjoyed those so much out there with you guys she randomly bought some for us one day, it was kinda funny. She is such a little cutie-congrats on the potty training!! That's exciting! Sorry for the novel, maybe I should just call you instead of writing everything in comment form???

Jody said...

Cutest nieces ever! Weird how hots dogs taste good at the ball park and over a fire.. I'm surprised they don't take after their grandpa and love dog O's! Julia you look beautiful! Good luck at preschool! Wish you were in Hanky's class. Audrey congrats on Potty Training! You deserve a big reward!! I love the push-pop face, and at least your mom is smart enough to take your shirt off. Love you.. hope you fly out tomorrow my $50 is in the mail..

Phillips Family said...

Wow, Julia is super tall compared to her friend!! I bet she is the smartest girl in her class. Audrey is so super cute...we think we would even give her cozies with her ice cream face. Grady on the other hand...

kiki comin said...

cute, cute, cute, for sure. i can't really stand those 10 cent things you were talking about. although i would like to feed them to my kids for 10 cents a piece..and husband too..and then be like julia and get the cotton candy for myself. yum.

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Julia is looking darling as ever and SO grown up!! I am super impressed about Audrey being potty trained too. How nice to have another one done!

bj+anne+brody+macie+lucy+ellie said...

I am insanely jealous of the cotton candy. I have yet to find myself some fresh spun stuff this summer...and it leaves me feeling empty...ok that was dramatic, but where are the ghetto carnivals around this place? I miss "City of Fun"
If you know what I am talking about, bless you.
so great to see you guys last night. you guys rock

candice said...

Julia looks darling! cutest cowhand i have ever seen. I love baseball games in the summer. i love the family picture at the top too. so cute

Melinda said...

Um...I hope that little boy who was mean to Audrey girl wasn't Emerson. I love that Julia turned her horse promptly into a unicorn. I can't wait for the girly-ness to invade our house a little more. I'm way impressed that Audrey is potty trained. Just tell her not to make fun of Emerson since he'll be in diapers for awhile yet.

Brookel said...

I like how her and Davis have such great first day of school smiles :) And I can't remember the last time I had a push up, we need to get some of those!

Dehner Family said...

Okay, I love Julia's twinkle toes. Both your girls are getting so big!! Congrats on the potty training. No diapers - sounds heavenly!

Katie said...

Sweet girls! They are so darling. I could use a lesson in how to do "little girl hair" before mine gets here - although, let's face it, if she's like me as a baby or Jeff as an adult she won't have much to work with!

Our trip to Ohio was to the farthest East town - Boardman. We barely crossed the border. Trust me, I looked up the distance and being 7 months pregnant, I thought the 5 hour drive to the eastern edge was going to kill me. It wasn't bad but I do wish we were closer to come visit you guys!

Eric & Aimei Phillips said...

FINALLY!!! We couldn't get on your blog forever...we finally fixed our computer! Julia and Audrey are ridiculously cute...we missed you at Meeks!!!Potty training...I'm going to need tips!!!

David and Kristi Gailey said...

We are so excited to see you guys! Sometime we'll have to go to a Reds game together. Dave gets tickets from work every once in a while. Congratulations to Audrey girl for being potty trained.