Monday, October 18, 2010

F-I-V-E

It happened. As much as I tried to stop it. This little one turned five. When did I get old enough to have a five year old? Well if you can't stop it you might as well make a really big huge deal out of it. So that's what we did.

She had to bring birthday treats to school so we made homemade oreo spiders (if you consider cake mix cookie with store bought frosting inside homemade. In my defense it did take a very long time to turn them into spiders.)
On her actual birthday she didn't have school and Audrey had playgroup so Julia and I went out to breakfast, just the two of us. I think she was so weirded out being alone with me that she literally just colored her menu the entire time. When she had me all to herself she wasn't sure what to do with me. Luckily she warmed up eventually and thoroughly enjoyed her pancakes with sprinkles.

That night we celebrated with Julia's favorite meal...Princess Pasta. (You may think I'm joking but that is actually what it is called.)
Recipe for Princess Pasta:
2 c. heavy cream
8 tbs. butter
1 medium onion, diced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1/2 lb. deli sliced ham, cut into squares (thick cut)
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1 box bowtie pasta

Cook pasta according to package directions. Saute ham and onions in butter until both are slightly browned. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add cream and cook over medium head until slightly reduced (I season with about a 1/2 tsp. pepper). Take off heat and add parmesan cheese. Toss with cooked pasta.
courtesy of Amy Keuhnl

Poor little Audrey was a little stressed out that it was all about Julia. She kept telling Julia that when it was her birthday she was going to have a Spiderman party. This was infuriating and incomprehensible to Julia. Spiderman?! Audrey I will NOT let you have a Spiderman party. That is for boys! This argument when on for several days.

Audrey when it's your birthday you can have any kind of party you want.
Julia making silly faces with her presents.
Yes, I went there. I fully introduced her to the world of Barbie. Do I regret it? We shall see.
That night we went and saw Toy Story 3 at the dollar theatre. I blubbered like a baby. Not only is my baby growing up so fast but it seems like only yesterday I was a child, playing with my toys. Youth is but a moment I tell you.
Now on to the big fat birthday party. This was Julia's first birthday party with friends and I figured probably the first she will really remember. So we decided to go all out. We had a "hot chocolate" party. We started with a scavenger hunt in which the girls gathered all they would need to attend the fancy "hot chocolate" party. Some treasures were crowns, necklaces, funny sunglasses, bracelets and a couple of games ending with a story. They had to balance a book on their head to prove they had grace and pour a tea cup with water in it while wearing gloves. It was lots of fun.

Do you think Julia enjoyed herself? She wore her fancy monarch butterfly Halloween costume to the event and I must say she looks smashing.
Blowing the big 5 candle.
My only regret is that Oriental Trading does not make every necklace, crown, bracelet in pink. This was a source of conflict. Some of the little girls had to actually go with a blue crown and orange sunglasses GASP! Every time the scavenger hunt led us to a treasure a chorus of "I want pink!" inevitably followed. Such cute girls. Luckily all the paper plates, balloons and the teacups I ordered followed their specifications. It was like pink puked all over the table.
I love this picture with the funny sunglasses. How cute are they!?
My little ladybug was so excited to be involved. The girls made their own english muffin pizzas and had apples and carrots on the side. They sipped hot chocolate and I put a dish of marshmallows on the table for them to put on the hot chocolate. The marshmallows were the hit of the party. They disappeared faster than I could keep up. So when the moms asked what they ate? Well... mostly marshmallows. But I do think a couple of kids took a bit of pizza. And they totally ate cupcakes at the end. So overall healthy lunch if you ask me.
Bryan was in charge of pictures while the scavenger hunt was going. This is the only one I didn't delete. So photography is not his strength. Good to know.
You see that pile of presents? Julia was spoiled ROTTEN. She still stinks from it even two days later.
Julia really wanted chocolate cupcakes with pink frosting, pink sprinkles and a cherry on top. (because they are Stripey's favorite). Consider it done.
This cute girl's mom told me she has only drank from her princess teacup since the party. That makes me happy.
That night we had our family cake. (Seriously does this birthday ever end?). She requested blueberry pie but settled for razzleberry pie.
Recipe for Razzleberry Pie:

Go to Walmart. Look in the frozen pie section. Discover that there are no blueberry pies. Do your best to convince your almost five year old that razzleberry pie has bueberries in it, even though it doesn't. Take it home. Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour. Enjoy warm with ice cream.

15 comments:

Ryan & Amanda said...

I have been so excited to see pictures from the big day, and can I say you definitely win the "best mom" award! Julia is one lucky little girl, that sounds like so much fun! Totally hilarious that when she had you alone she didn't know what to do, I love that! She is such an adorable little girl and I am so glad to see that she was thoroughly spoiled on her big day! Now I can't wait to see what you do for Audrey's big Spiderman party on her b-day! :)

Phillips Family said...

We were hoping she had a happy birthday, and have been reluctant to call because of all the partying you guys have been doing. We are super to come and visit in two weeks. Gready especially.

Jody said...

WOW AMAZING!! love that you share it with us.. So much fun and she should smell spoiled for awhile birthdays last at least a month!! Looks like Fancy Nancy really did her best. Love the costumes love that everyone wanted pink! Wish we could have attended the magical party! We love you Julia and can't believe your five! Audrey we can help give you the best spiderman party ever. We even have a couple of outfits you can choose from.

Unknown said...

She deserves every bit of it. Man I love that girl and I hope those Barbies have lots of love triangles, crushes, and hot dates.

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Wow, can she really be five?! Happy Birthday to cute Julia! Looks like the celebrations were a huge hit with everyone:). Good work! I love that she took spider cookies for her b-day treat to school--my sister has an Oct. birthday as well and I always thought it was so fun.

Dehner Family said...

Cute Spider cookies!! And her party looked awesome. I can see how going to watch Toy Story 3 on your daughters 5th birthday would totally make you blubber. Congrats on having a 5 year old - you'll love kindergarten!!

bj+anne+brody+macie+lucy+ellie said...

looks like quite the event...and nno-you are not old enough to have a five year old and never will be (at least that is how I feel). I am glad to see someone else eats razzleberry pie...I thought BJ's family were the only ones on the planet that did.

Scott and Melanie said...

Happy Birthday Julia! We miss you! It looks like you had a fabulous day.

emilyy said...

Happy Birthday Julia! Seriously so fun! Now you guys need to come up here for a visit.

Eric & Aimei Phillips said...

Happy birthday, Julia...and, no, you don't look old enough to have a five year old and I totally am not going to see Toy Story 3 after your description...I know I'd cry the whole time! I was weepy with the Toy Story 2 montage...

kiki comin said...

5!!!? That is so crazy. Happy birthday, Julia..and I love the recipe for razzleberry pie..that is my kind of preparation!:)

Unknown said...

i can't believe it. we're not old enough to have five year olds..right?!
happy birthday to one of the cutest 5 year olds that i know. :)

Sarah Walton said...

She'll love barbies . . . .LOVE THEM. Well, my girls do at least, and since our girls usually like the same thing, I'm making a pretty educated guess. Anyway, happy birthday to Julia! What a fun party!! Annie wants a Fancy Nancy party (in like 2 weeks - yikes, I better start planning!) so, I think I might steal your treasure hunt idea!!

candice said...

Such a cutie. I can't believe how big she is getting! I was just thinking of how long her little legs are at aerobics the other day. Taylee loved the party and adores Julia. Sadly she drank out of it until in a tantrum she threw it onto the floor and it busted :) She cried for almost a half hour. IT was a great party.

Rachel said...

Annie! I cannot, and will not believe that Julia is 5!! That little girl is growing up so fast and SO CUTE! We miss you all so much!