Thursday, September 8, 2011

Just Face It. It's Over.

Summer that is. Labor Day just makes it official and it comes with mixed feelings. I love the lazy days of summer at the pool almost more than anything. But I also love the feel of fall, starting school and getting back to a routine. It was 97 degrees last Friday and we spent almost four hours at our pool. And then Monday it was 68 degrees. Fall hit with a vengeance. I was so glad we got one more day as a family doing our favorite thing. The girls set some goals with swimming this year and it made me really happy to see them achieve them. I haven't put them in swimming lessons and have been torn as to whether I was doing them a disservice. But they are both swimming great and loved every minute of it. I think that I am even more sad this year knowing that we will be leaving next summer. I am one that gets pretty sentimental about things. We went for a walk on Tuesday and they were pumping the water out of the pool. I teared up a little.

Audrey's big achievement this summer was swimming with her face in the water. She loves her "doggles" and wants to be just like Julia. We even took her life jacket off a couple of times and she was able to swim without it and float on her back without it. I didn't let her go lifejacket-less too often though. I like the freedom it gives her and to be honest it makes me a little nervous when she is without it.
Here she is floating on her back. She loved to show anyone and everyone that entered the pool her tricks. I'm sure the random old dude loved the fact she could put her face in the water.
Julia's goal this summer was to swim all the way across the pool. It took a couple of months but she was finally able to figure her breathing out and got pretty fast. We still need to work on getting a stroke rather than just flapping her arms but she is doing great.
Here's a couple of videos of the girls swimming. What a great summer at the pool. I know that I will look back on these and miss these simple days. Arrggh there I go getting all sentimental again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep, time to start making dinner again Annie. I wish I could see you all cute and pregnant right now. Talk to you soon.

Phillips Family said...

Wow, maybe they got Geoff's swimming genes. Soon they will be calling you into their bedrooms late at night and demand you feel their muscles as they flex.

Eric & Aimei Phillips said...

Those girls of yours are so adorable...when do you think you will come out next...Christmas?

Ryan & Amanda said...

They really are great little swimmers, good for them! I agree about the mixed feelings, I love summer and I am kind of sad when it is over, but I love fall too.