Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Bike

We spend the vast majority of our time outside during the summer and that means lots of bike riding for the girls. Audrey has had a difficult time with this. She was just not finding a bike that worked for her. Nothing was fast enough to keep up with her sister and that steering business was a tricky one. Well, with some perseverence and hard work she finally figured out how to ride the "flower" bike. And no bike ride would be complete without a helmet to go with it.
I know in years to come as I will think back to this summer the image of Audrey in this helmet will be frozen in my mind forever. I think it is the most hilarious/cutest thing I have ever seen and I defy anyone to not smile wen they see her little body riding her bike with this kitty (that sometime looks like a pig) helmet on top of her head.

Yes we have resurrected the "flower" bike. This is a boy bike that I got from a friend for 2$. Julia learned to ride on it and now Audrey has her turn. It was once coated with princess stickers that have since faded, the seat is cracked, the "Mighty Mongoose" printed on the side is starting to fade and the training wheels are skeewampus but gosh dangit she loves it. Her improvement makes me so happy.

When riding this bike, every once in a while the training wheels will have a mind of their own. This stresses Audrey out a bit. If she ever falls off I will be about ten feet behind her and she will scream, "Mooooooommm! Why didn't you catch me!!?" I love how I get the blame when things go wrong. Needless to say we are required to stand close to her to try and catch her if the bike ever is to take a tumble. Thankfully she is actually a very graceful faller. We have to remind her that she isn't hurt so she'll jump back on and try again. Which she does. Moving at a snail's pace. It's a work in progress...

You should see how good this girl has gotten on her bike. She is definitely a speed racer. I love seeing her long hair swaying under that helmet as she speeds ahead of us.

This may come as a surprise but kitty helmet not only makes an appearance on bike rides but ALL around the house as well. It is her kitty's pack and play, a purse and great for stick horse riding.

Julia went to a luau birthday party and came home with some awesome party favors. The hosts were kind enough to send home some for Audrey as well. So when we head to the pool they often get in their hawaiin gear in preparation.

The girls are becoming quite the swimmers this summer. I have been so proud of them both. I'll save all of that for the next post.

I'll tell you what. I will not be ready for summer to end!

5 comments:

Ryan & Amanda said...

I love all the summer pictures, and seriously Audrey with that helmet is about the cutest thing ever!

Unknown said...

I think you are supposed to call me tonight. Yes, it's all your job. Oh I loved that little bike! I remember it well. Love the girls in their "outfits."

Phillips Family said...

Love the helmet!!!

bj+anne+brody+macie+lucy+ellie said...

I LOVE IT!!!

Monica said...

I love that bike too! Glad that Audrey is getting good use of it too! Also, I am so not ready for summer to end either. We need to talk again. I will call you this week. :)