Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Triathlon

When I saw sign ups for a kid's triathlon I knew that it would be perfect for Julia.  She enjoys running/swimming/biking and I knew this would be a good challenge for her.  I never participated in races growing up but Bryan is a pro.  There definitely is something about the excitement during a race, even if they aren't keeping times and it is just all in good fun.  She was to swim first and I must admit I didn't realize the pool was going to be so big.  She only had to swim the length of it, but I was a tiny bit nervous for her.  So when she jumped in I was honestly amazed at how fast she swam!  It was a proud moment watching her swim her hardest from one end to the other and complete the other events.  I feel like it was a really good experience for her.
 They gave them a bag filled with coupons and a medal.  She was so excited about the medal.
 A couple of other girls from our ward participated as well.  You should see them swim!  They are amazing.
 Bryan left us for a few days for his church responsibilities with the young men at High Adventure Camp.  While he was floating down a river in the hot sun we were trying to keep ourselves busy.  I must admit, I have gotten used to having Bryan around.  During residency he was always gone but now he is more often home.  We did dinner at Arctic Circle one night and the girls had the best time playing on the playground there.
 We also went to the beach one day and played in the water and sand.
 Lily was crazy dirty by the end of it.  Thankfully this was the day Bryan returned home to us.
 That weekend, Bryan was on call but we were able to slip over to the local fair before he rushed off to another delivery.  It was SO hot and we honestly didn't last too long.
 We did see some animals and convinced the girls that the carnival rides at 4 dollars a pop weren't worth their time.  I convinced them to buy some inexpensive necklaces instead of wasting it on two seconds of a carney ride.  I finally talked them into it and on our way out of the fair Audrey's broke which brought on a fresh bought of tears.  Dang fair.
 While Bryan ran to the hospital I took the girls for some refreshing shaved ice.  I think this is Lily's very favorite treat.  She can't get enough.

2 comments:

Ryan & Amanda said...

That is seriously so awesome for Julia, tell her I am super proud of her! You have quite the athlete on your hands! And I am loving the picture of Bryan with Julia and Audrey! They all seem to have the same forced/pained smile but are looking in 3 different directions :) such a great pic! I have the same love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with carneys with all the overpriced grossness, but kids are always pulled to them!

Meg said...

I wondered how the triathlon went--awesome, go Julia!!