Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer Day

In honor of the 24th of July, we had a special Family Home Evening. We talked to Julia about the pioneers and made the little handcart that they had in the Friend this month. I LOVE the Friend for FHE ideas and Julia loves it when we whip out the glue and scissors. Though I must say the next morning I found that Julia had decided to get the glue and scissors out herself and make a beautiful mess. I'm just glad that she didn't do too much damage and she is always very quick to confess. So, I usually don't post things like this on my blog, but I guess I was feeling a little inspired and wanted to share some of my feelings. I always am in awe this time of year for all that the pioneers went through. It is so amazing to me that they were willing to sacrifice so much and make such a journey for their faith. I think that having my new little baby Audrey and thinking about how difficult it would be to make that journey with her gives me an entirely new appreciation for what the pioneer women did (carrying the baby across the plains and the natural child birth that they endured). I cannot imagine the sacrifice of leaving your home and all of your belongings and setting out in a wilderness, completely on faith that things would work out. I cannot imagine the loss and sickness they endured along the way. It bring tears to my eyes to think of the mothers that lost little ones along the way, that had to care for sick children with no means of medical supplies, and to listen to the complaints of your child who's feet were so sore from walking for so long. I am SO thankful for all that they did so that we could have the greatest blessing of the gospel in our lives. So, if you took the time to read this, and you really want to be uplifted, I am including a link to one of my very favorite talks given by M. Russel Ballard. If you get a chance you really should read it, I promise you won't regret it. You can get it here
Have a great Pioneer Day! And don't mind my cheesy post or the cheesy grin Julia is giving. She kind of had a difficult time grasping the concept of the pioneers. We just told her that they had to go camping for a really long time. When I did singing time for the little ones I told them to imagine having to walk to their Grandma's in Utah and having to leave all of their toys behind. One little boy, very concerned, said, "Even my trucks!?" I'm sure some very stressed out kids came home that Sunday.

9 comments:

The Teeples said...

Annie,
I want to thank you for reminding me that it is Pioneer Day and we should be grateful for all that they did.

Leaving in Ohio for almost 9 years now has made me forget that wonderful holiday we had in good ol Utah. So thanks girl!!

Much Love,
Heather :)

kiki comin said...

whatever..that was so not cheesy. i was just saying tonight that not living in utah, we forget all about july 24th so easily, so thanks for your sweet post.:)

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Good job Annie! My mom told me today to at least tell Alyssa a pioneer story since we weren't in Utah celebrating.

Kimball Family said...

What a cute idea! Even though it's a little bit late, I'm going to talk about pioneers and their trek out west for our next Family Home Evening.

To be honest, I sort of forgot about it being Pioneer Day. Thanks for the great reminder and a terrific post.

Julia is a doll, and I am amazed at how big Audrey has gotten. Those first few weeks fly by; before you know it your little baby is about to be nine months old!

David and Kristi Gailey said...

Thanks Annie! I miss pioneer day in Utah. It was great to be reminded.

Unknown said...

I seriously thought to myself today, I wonder what amazing mom did something for her kids for Pioneer Day. Because I sure didn't and wished I had.I should have known Annie Palmer would. Way to go girl.

candice said...

you are so cute. i love all of the little things that you do with julia. i am excited for taylee to be able to "get" some of that stuff when she is older. your girls look adorable as usual. and as for memory lane... the first memory i have of you is when i saw julia in church all dolled up in a dress you said was from a wedding. it was when we were first new and i didn't really know anyone. you were one of the first people in our ward to be really nice to me. it made my day to have you talk to me and be so welcoming. you are such a great person. thanks for your friendship.

Kenny, Tara, Ashley said...

What a great Family Night activity. It looks like Julia loved it. We are missing you guys and missing C-Bus! Audrey is darling and she's growing up too fast. Why can't they stay little just a little longer? Hope you are doing well!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

So we met your friend Sabrina last weekend--turns out we have a mutual friend here that invited us both over for a b-day party. Fun to chat with her. We both wish we had a little more time to hang out with the Palmers in Ohio!