I have now embarked upon the journey of a resident's wife and I am learning to adjust to the schedule this new journey involves. I decided to give you a glimpse into the day in the life of a resident's family while he is on call.
I pray, pray, pray the night before that Audrey sleeps pretty good and that she doesn't get up too early so I can get ready for church, get Julia ready for church and get Audrey fed and dressed. To time it all right is no easy task. I had a little panic moment at 7:50AM, thinking Audrey was not going to cooperate but she went back to sleep and we managed quite well. The trick is for me to fix my hair the night before. But I got the girls out the door and to church in time for sacrament. I will have to say if it wasn't for Sherri (LIFESAVER!) during sacrament it could have been a disaster. She distracted Julia with princess stickers while I tried to rock Audrey to sleep. I felt a complete success when Audrey was sleeping peacefully as I dropped Julia off at nursery. I then went to primary and got things ready, and of course right as it starts, Audrey awakens. So I pass her off to another lifesaver Jessica, and continue leading. I take her back during Sharing Time and try my darn hardest to get her back to sleep but without success. I again pass her off to Jessica who has to leave the room because Audrey is crying while I do singing time (seriously I don't know what I would do without such wonderful friends!) Audrey is nearly asleep by the time I'm done, but I still have senior primary to go. I pass Audrey off to Kara (yet again, thank you!) and do the opening exercises while I watch Audrey getting ready to scream. I have Laurie (hello, do you see a trend?) lead the last song for me while I run and feed Audrey, who decided to eat hardly anything. I then find Sherri in Relief Society and give her Audrey while I finish up singing time. After church I head over to get Julia but I see she is already outside with tears running down her face screaming because she was having a "tough time." So I grab a sobbing Julia and look for Sherri, who had to go outside with a screaming Audrey. I thank and thank her (seriously THANK YOU to all who helped me!!) and head out the door. I put the girls in the car and stretch my aching arms and say a little prayer of thanks that I made it through yet another Sunday on my own, and we all survived.
This is the gourmet meal that Julia and I eat when we are alone on Sundays. They cook quick and are so yummy with blueberries and strawberries piled on top with a generous squirt of Redi-whip. Julia prefers dipping in syrup and smells like it the rest of the day. So we filled up on waffles and Julia tells me she is too tired and must take a nap (40 minutes early-looks like Sundays alone don't only wear me out but Julia as well).
My sleeping babes. Audrey slept ALL DAY. I think that the church arm swap did her in.
Yes I wish there was a picture of me sleeping as well, but it didn't happen. I never know when the girls are going to wake up and it seems like just as I start falling asleep one wakes up. Also, when Bryan is on call I like to be really sleepy by the end of the day so I can just fall asleep, so no nap for me.
This is smiley Audrey waking up and stretching after her sleep and diaper change. She almost immediately went back to sleep after this so...
Julia and I had Oreo's and milk and watched The Princess Diaries.
Usually Bryan is so busy this isn't possible but we were able to go and visit him at work. I am SO mad I forgot my camera, but here is little Audrey getting ready to ride. We got to Riverside and Julia played in the little house and we threw pennies in the fountain while we waited for Bryan to come down. We lived in luxury in the Riverside cafeteria as we ate Sunday dinner together. I will honestly say their hamburgers are tasty and when they're free for families they are extra tasty. Julia had pizza and Audrey looked around at the new surroundings. We then went up to see the "little tiny babies", as Julia calls them. I must say, Bryan does work in the funnest part of the hospital. As I went up there I just couldn't believe it was two months ago that I had sweet Audrey and a part of me wanted to go back to those blissful moments when she was so tiny and new. She looks twice their size now. I am just so proud that Bryan gets to bring these little lives into the world and be a part of such a happy time.
We went and met some of the nurses Bryan works with. When they asked Julia about her little sister she said, "This is little stinker Audrey." They thought that was pretty funny.
We then kissed daddy goodbye. Julia loved seeing daddy in his green shirt and pants at work where he delivers the babies. We piled in the car and listened to princess songs while Audrey slept. I must say driving home, listening to Julia's sweet little high pitched voice singing songs from Beauty and the Beast, was a nice moment. I do feel so blessed to have such sweet little girls.
We then came home and got ready for bed. Here is Audrey practicing "tummy time" and Julia doing the same. I wish that the nights sleep was better but Audrey woke up more than usual and I was up with terrible allergies but as you can see...
We survived! Now we get a whole week before the next call. Hopefully Bryan can get lots of R and R. The life of a resident's wife can certainly be lonely at times, but we are doing great and have so many great friends that make it easier. We are so proud of Bryan and all the hard work that he does. And though we wish he were home more, it makes the times that he's home even better. And it DEFINITELY makes me appreciate the Sundays that he is willing to take Audrey and help me with my calling.
Covey Seely
6 years ago




11 comments:
Anzie,
I too think that Sunday's are extra hard... I think that Satan wants it to be that way, so we will all just stay home.. Sounds like your doing a great job at being a single mom. Maybe when you come out you will have to stay a little longer so we can help you.. Counting down the days until you come..
Oh, I forgot the most important thing... the girls are so BEAUTIFUL... I can't wait to kiss there faces off.
I don't know how you do it. You are an amazing mom and wife. It will all be worth it in the long run.
Your girls are so darling.
I just did my first Sunday w/out Scott. I was 15 min late and we have church at one. I might have to go inactive when we start having 9'oclock cause it will probably be over by the time I get there. So congrats for making it and surviving.
Sounds like it was a trend yesterday, J.R. was on call as well. We were on time barely, and I only have one! I am bad though, I have a hard time getting myself into bed at night and stay up too late. Glad you got to go visit Bryan at the hospital--fun for the girls, and I am sure he doesn't mind showing off his cuties!!
WOW you have you're hands full. But those girls are so dang cute. I know it will be all worth it in the end.
Annie,
You are Amazing Woman!! I just wanted to offer my services of watching your little one for you during church. I would absolutely love it. So please don't hesitate to leave little Audrey with me.
Love ya. Let me know if there is anything I can do.
Heather :)
What a day! I am only mad that I didn't get to hold Audrey longer. You wait and see, me alone at church with my two kids will be a disaster. And you always look picture perfect!
I think we need more singing Julia videos. Glasses included. WE are super excited for you to come and visit. I hope Julia and Audrey are ready for the times of their lives.
Wow! Very impressive. I have a hard time on Sundays too. We have Sacrament last and I lead the singing for Relief Society so I feel like I am always rushing just to get there to lead the opening song all flustered. That is even with Ryan taking Alli and when he teaches Elders Quorum it is similar with random sisters taking her while I lead and then during Sunday school it is interesting as we TRY to teach a lesson. You do it much better than I do even by yourself. I am soo excited to see you guys and hold the darling little girls. They are growing so fast!
You do singing time too! It's the best. I am sure it is a challenge with a new baby -- who, by the way, is absolutely darling. Both your girls are so CUTE!
Post a Comment