Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Green

We just got back from a wonderful and quick trip visiting family. We spent the first few days with my family in WY.

We went to Flaming Gorge to fish the Green. My dad and brothers have come here for years but I honestly had never been. It was beautiful. The craziest thing is the water is so clear you can see these enormous fish just floating around in the water. They say that those fish are smart buggers though and it takes a certain fly and a certain hand to catch one. Luckily my dad was able to help Julia snag this little beauty.
Here she is reeling him in. I remember when my dad took me fishing as a little girl.
Here's the whole group. My oldest brother Geoff, his wife Jody and their kids came too.
My mom and me.
Papa with some of the grandkids. It was 80's day at school for little Brooke and Dylan so Jody sprayed green in their hair because not only were they 80's they were punk rock 80's. I think she regretted her decision when she saw the amount of pictures being taken. Personally I think they looked awesome.
My man and me.
My man out there fishing. My dad and bros have converted him. I wish he was able to go more often, he really does enjoy it.
All of the cute kids playing with the little fishing rods my mom gave them. Imagine their disappointment when they realized all that was attached to the end of their princess fishing poles was a plastic crown. "That's not going to catch any fish!"
The drive to the Gorge is actually quite long. While we were driving home in the late, dark night, my mom started to slow down and act like something was seriously wrong. I thought for sure the car was broken down and we were going to be stranded on the long stretch of lonesome WY freeway. Turns out she was trying to pick a piece of food off her pants and that piece of food ended up being a tick! She pulled over and flicked that tick far far away. Needless to say the remainder of the drive was one of the feeling of creepy crawlies climbing up our legs. Happy to report that we didn't encounter any more. Not a huge fan of the ticks.

12 comments:

cheeks said...

first....i love this falling slowly song! i need to buy it!

second....i love flaming gorge! i can't believe you'd never been there living in evanston! it's just a hop, skip, and a jump away....but yeah, that is a long stretch of nothing on the freeway, so i'm glad you didn't break down....and that you were tick free! now i'm itchy!

maybe there's a fish that goes for princess crowns...ya never know! :)

Ryan & Amanda said...

That is such a fun place! We went when I was little once and I remember loving it. I'm glad Bryan enjoys the flyfishing, it's probably Ryan's favorite thing to do, they'll have to go together next time you're out in the summer, and I'm so glad your mom got rid of the tick!!!

Jody said...

SUUUUPER FUN!! So glad we got to hang out!! Yes the green hair haunts me, but maybe we all should have sprayed are hair since we were at the "GREEN." The kids had such a wonderful time! It is a trip the kids will remember for a long time! Hope the girls and you are feeling better!! HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Kara said...

Why are you wearing the same shirt the whole trip? Is it because you took two tiny suitcases for four people for a week?

Jody said...

Hey the picture at the top is AWESOME the girls are sooo cute and sweet!! Tell Kara it is the same shirt!! It was only a one day trip to the green!!

Annie said...

Kara, you are just super jealous of my amazing packing skills. Two small suitcases is no small feat I tell you.

Eric & Aimei Phillips said...

I love the new pics of Julia and Audrey. So diva-licious!!! Totally unfair that the boys have been going for years and you just barely went...I have yet to go to the green...wish you guys were here more!!! BTW, I'm completely jealous of your packing skills, we go to Evanston for a weekend and it seems like we have two suitcases...I bow to your great packing abilities!

Phillips Family said...

We are jealous we were not invited...

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Looks like such a fun outing with your family! Happy Happy Birthday today!! Hope you have had a fabulous day with your darling little family.

kiki comin said...

fun trip! it's so nice you could all go out together. and tell kara to stuff it..this next year when you come to vegas for our girls trip (wink, wink), you can rock that shirt the WHOLE time.:)

kiki comin said...

hey, i just saw two posts down Julia wearing her J necklace. tell her i am sending her a treat for advertising. she is awesome!:)

Vaughn Mathis said...

We've been to Flaming Gorge Dam! Trevor's parents live in Vernal (very near there).

It's a blast isn't it!?