We picked up a random book at the library called The "Three Bears' Halloween" by Kathy Duvall and Julia has been obsessed with it. They make popcorn spiders in the book and Julia pretends to eat them when she is reading the book and has, gross, even licked the book a few times in her excitement (I know, you are now thinking I will never get this book at the library). Anyways, we decided for family home evening we would make her wildest dreams come true and make popcorn spiders for our snack. I have never made caramel popcorn, and was worried the entire time I was stirring that it would burn, but it actually turned out really good!
Julia displaying her creation. The spider had skittle eyes and I honestly think that was her favorite part. She humored me by taking a few bites of the popcorn but then asked for more eyes. She was very excited about her spider though and if I moved it she would freak out. I actually made one for a girl I visit teach and when we dropped it off to her Julia threw a major tantrum because she needed the popcorn spider. Let me tell you, that was a good time. Not only Julia enjoyed them, but Bryan is a huge caramel popcorn fan I discovered. When I got up the next morning I found a bowl filled with sticky carmel and discovered Bryan had eaten it for breakfast. That's a way to start the day off right.
Here is a close up of our creation. We had a great time and as I said Julia loved it. It is so fun that she is at the age where Halloween is so exciting and making popcorn spiders is this huge event that calls for dancing in circles and singing (which she did in excitement when she saw what I was making). I don't think I ever realized how rewarding a holiday could be until I had a child of my own that gets so excited about it. Every time we go in the store she begs to see "Halloweens". And of course I humor her, enjoying it as much as she does, just because I get to see her so excited and pointing at the "happy pumpkins" because "scary pumpkins" are no good.
Covey Seely
6 years ago




3 comments:
That was yummy popcorn! I don't think it lasted a full 15 minutes in our house, and we ate it for an appetizer to dinner. :)
that looks really fun! look at you miss creative!:)
Sienna loves the dress-up but tells me she's so scared whenever we near a Halloween aisle at the store. So I know all about the scary pumpkins.
Post a Comment