Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Birthday Joy

When we asked Julia if she wanted cake first or presents, what do you think she chose?
Of course she needed a crown, necklace, earrings, ring and gloves to go with her Sleeping Beauty dress. She actually requested each of those items specifically.
The main event! Her new castle for all the princess and prince joy a little girl can imagine.
And even though the castle included a normal proportioned prince and princess, Aurora still needed to check it out with her large headed prince. I'm kind of surprised his giant head fit through the door.
Cake time!

For the first time ever, I actually attempted a "theme" cake. If you can't tell, it is a castle. I asked one of my piano students what they thought it was. After a bit of thought, he decided it looked like a castle. Success! All that mattered was that Julia kept telling me how beautiful it was. And it honestly was easy to put together.

During the cake creation she was anxious to chomp down on the sugar cone. Soon after this picture she remembered that she DOES NOT like frosting so we replaced the cake with...ice cream. This did not hold her attention for more than five minutes and then it was back to the castle and all the imaginings of a now three year old.

Here's a video of the cake moment. She did great blowing the candles out, though I did think for a moment she was going to bolt. She looked a little nervous while we were singing to her, but in the end she pulled through.

12 comments:

Ryan & Amanda said...

Good job on the cake, that is impressive! Much better than any cake I have made! Those candles can be tough to blow out sometimes, she was so cute!

Heather said...

I love your castle cake - it looked beautiful. Loved the bit about the huge cranium barely fittin' through the door. I think Sienna would love to have a prince charming to accompany her troop of princesses around. The castle looks awesome. Tanner got one for Sienna for her third birthday. It is still played with every.day.

natalie palmer said...

happy birthday julia! we're going to send her a gift one of these days, along with the graduation gift that planned on getting bryan a few months ago and both of your birthday gifts from the past two years!!! i have a lot of catching up to do!! :)
seriously though... can i have your address??

Whitney said...

I think the cake looked great. I was quite impressed. I love the princess castles and can't wait until we have more toys like that at our house. It looks like Julia had a fun day. I am glad I got to talk to you the other day. You are such a great mom!

Brookel said...

Ok Eden has only been to one birthday, her own, but when I was scrolling through this post she started singing 'happy happy' which is her version of a happy birthday song she learned from this singing elmo. But she started singing it after she saw the castle cake, but don't know how she'd know what that was. So it must have been a very good birthday cake! And I think you did a really good job too :)

kiki comin said...

your cake turned out awesome! ummm...and i didn't realize until this morning that i totally forgot about the park yesterday! i am so sorry. i was thinking it was today..i'm blaming it on my pregnancy! sorry, sorry, sorry..and happy birthday, julia!

Katherine said...

I do like the cake idea! Happy Birthday Julia!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Great cake--I bet Julia was in heaven with her own castle!!

David and Kristi Gailey said...

Happy Birthday Julia. Too bad we couldn't be there to give you a birthday kiss. We miss you soooo much!

David and Kristi Gailey said...

Awesome cake Annie! Looks great!

Jody said...

That cake is unbelievable!!! You did an amazing job... Do you hire out? Shipping is free right? Looks like she had a fun birthday, and I didn't see any raisins on the cake or cupcakes. Good Job... Hope that you are all doing well.. Love ya

The Teeples said...

Happy Birthday Julia! We are so sorry we missed out on your fun birthday party. Your Mom sure is cool that she can make such an awesome Cake for you. She needs to teach me some good skils.

Enjoy your princess castle. that is a neat toy.

Happy Birthday.